© Heloise Bergman / Time Out
Clad in Italian Carrara marble, the 'marble temple' is a well-proportioned meld of East and West by Italian Hercules Manfredi. It was commissioned in 1899 by Rama V, who was a monk in the original Ayutthaya-era temple, and one room contains his ashes. The bot has stained-glass windows of Thai mythology and a replica of Thailand's much-venerated Buddha image: the haloed Phra Phutta Chinirat of Pitsanuloke. Lining the cloister, 53 Buddha images cover every era, style, mudra (gesture) and provenance. Monks collect alms every morning by standing out front instead of walking.