Best galleries and contemporary art venues in Chicago
Discover works by artists of all varieties—whether up-and-coming, emerging or established—at the best galleries in Chicago.
The best art in Chicago isn't found exclusively at the Art Institute or MCA, nor are the best art galleries in the city confined to one neighborhood. Whether in Pilsen, River North, the West Loop, Wicker Park or elsewhere, Chicago boasts a variety of venues-both commericial and not-for-profit-to see original artwork by up-and-coming, emerging and established artists.
Because the local scene encompasses a range, we wanted to include a spectrum in our best galleries list-from places where School of the Art Institute grads are likely to have their first solo show, to galleries that represent international art stars such as Rashid Johnson and Theaster Gates. We've included well-recognized commercial galleries, community-oriented nonprofit art centers, university galleries and new contemporary art spaces. As venues come and go and evolve and expand, and new noteworthy galleries pop up, we'll continue to refine our (admittedly incomplete) list. Here's where to go now to see engaging art in a non-museum setting.
RECOMMENDED: 25 best attractions in Chicago
- 756 N Milwaukee Ave, (at Ogden and Chicago Aves)
You might also like
- Price band: 1/4
- 1747 S Halsted St, rear entrance, (at W 18 Stbetween S Desplaines and S Jefferson Sts)
- Price band: 2/4
- 1306 S Michigan Ave, (at 13th St)
- The 50 most beautiful buildings in Chicago
- The 50 most beautiful buildings in Chicago: 10–1
- The 50 most beautiful buildings in Chicago: 50-41
- 17 theater shows to see this fall
- 10 best Chicago museums: Top institutions to visit in Chicago
- The 50 most beautiful buildings in Chicago: 20–11
- The 50 most beautiful buildings in Chicago: 40–31
- The 50 most beautiful buildings in Chicago: 30–21
- Willis Tower Skydeck
- Chicago SummerDance