Chicago's lesser-known public art
There's more to Chicago's public art than the Millennium Park mainstays.
Mon Jul 21 2008
Arris, 1975 (Cermak Rd and Calumet Ave)
John Henry’s bright yellow sculpture (pictured, above) lights up a dreary corner. Formerly installed a few blocks away on Indiana Avenue, the assemblage of aluminum beams was moved during McCormick Place’s expansion. The block of Calumet Avenue where Arris sits is called John Henry Way; Henry is the first artist to have a street named after him in Chicago.
Knowledge and Wonder, 1995 (Legler Branch Library, 115 S Pulaski Rd)
Debra Purden, collections manager for the city’s Public Art Program, calls Kerry James Marshall’s 14' x 24' painting (pictured, right) “one of the best investments” the program ever made, considering his work normally appears at highfalutin institutions such as New York’s Museum of Modern Art. The South Side resident created this depiction of kids and adults enjoying books and observing scientific phenomena when the library was renovated.
You might also like
- Price band: 1/4
- 1747 S Halsted St, rear entrance, (at W 18 Stbetween S Desplaines and S Jefferson Sts)
- Price band: 2/4
- 1306 S Michigan Ave, (at 13th St)