Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams announces opening date
Fri Sep 6 2013
Photograph: Martha Williams
When we heard that renowned ice cream shop Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream was coming to Chicago, we were excited. And then we spent an afternoon in the office digging into a few of the creamy pints and got even more excited—seriously, while we have no idea what "brambleberry" is, it's our new favorite ice cream flavor.
While Jeni's has been available in pints around Chicago for awhile—we've spotted it at Publican Quality Meats, among other places—the new scoop shop, opening at 11am on September 14 on the Southport Corridor, means you won't have to drop $12 for a pint anymore and can get ice cream in single servings. And there's even better news: You can get your first scoops free.
So cancel your plans next Friday night, because Jeni's is holding a public preview party at the shop (3404 N. Southport Ave) on September 13 from 7–10pm. There will be free scoops of ice cream for everyone and commemorative posters for the first 50 people there. While you can't really go wrong with any Jeni's flavor (we can't wait to try the whiskey and pecans or Riesling poached pear), we also loved the salty caramel, which strikes just the right balance between sweet and savory.
You might also like
- 1. Cozy up to a fireplace at these restaurants and bars.
- 2. Check out "Chicago Works: Lilli Carré" at the MCA.
- 9. Work up a sweat at the gym.
- 11. Drink hot booze.
- 14. Learn about Disney at the Museum of Science and Industry.
- 16. Get down at one of Chicago's best dance clubs.
- 17. Check out Tomorrow Never Knows 2014.
- 18. Indulge in some salt therapy.
- 19. Get your nature fix at the Garfield Park Conservatory.
- 20. Attend Hannibal Buress's Comedy Central taping.
- 21. Explore Eataly, Mario Batali's Italian superstore.
- 22. See a movie at the Hollywood Palms. (It's a jungle in there!)
- 23. Up your winter hat game.
- 24. Commute by Divvy bike (yes, even in winter).
- 25. Watch films from our list of the 50 best documentaries.
- 26. Sing away the winter blues at karaoke.
- 27. Take a winter road trip.
- 28. Hop to a new Chicago brewery.
- 29. Eat at Dusek's Board and Beer in historic Thalia Hall.
- 30. Get hooked on hot yoga.
- 32. Treat yo'self at a winter spa.
- 33. Treat yo' skin, too.
- 34. Make a killer party playlist.
- 35. See "William J. O'Brien" at the MCA.
- 37. Visit a new Chicago boutique.
- 38. Discover the sport of curling.
- 39. Hang out in Chicago's most serene spaces.
- 42. Build a snack stadium for your next sports-viewing party.
- 43. Try all the flavors at Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams. (There are tons.)
- 44. Spend the day at one of Chicago's best museums.
- 46. Absorb the "Wonders of the 1893 World's Fair" at the Field Museum.
- 48. Stop by one of Chicago's best comedy shows.
- 49. Cheer on the Bulls or Blackhawks at United Center.
- 50. Try some of the Midwest's best gin.