Scooter's Frozen Custard & Original Rainbow Cone reopen
There's finally some light at the end of this winter
Thu Mar 6 2014
The end of winter is in sight! Not only is it supposed to near 40 degrees tomorrow, but this weekend marks two annual harbingers of spring: the reopening of Scooter's Frozen Custard and Original Rainbow Cone.
Scooter's (1658 W Belmont Ave) opens tomorrow at 2pm. The flavor of the day is chocolate peanut butter and the concretes of the month are Minty Moore (Irish mint custard and cookies and cream blended together with hot fudge) and the Celtic Concrete (Irish mint custard and hot fudge).
Then Original Rainbow Cone (9233 S Western Ave) opens on Saturday at noon. The ice cream shop turns 88 this year, and the first 100 customers in line will get a free anniversary T-shirt. For the uninitiated, the rainbow cone consists of scoops of five flavors: chocolate, strawberry, Palmer House, pistachio and orange sherbet.
You might also like
- Overrated/Underrated Chicago: food and drink
- Chicago's top 20 brunch restaurants
- Where to find the best bakery treats in Chicago
- Best Chicago restaurants: Our picks for every cuisine
- Captain Morgan White Rum bartender contest
- Chicago-area breweries win 8 medals at Great American Beer Festival
- The best ice cream you can get in restaurants
- Four taco crawls
- 50+ Saturday brunches
- Gone but not forgotten: bars and clubs