Family-friendly Chicago picnic spots, and nearby places to pack your basket
We clear the best places in Chicago to lay your blanket.
Tue Jul 17 2012
Photograph: Jason Little
North Pond Nature Sanctuary in Lincoln Park
Head to North Pond Nature Sanctuary in Lincoln Park (between Fullerton and Diversey Pkwys and Stockton and Cannon Drs)
Stock up at Sultan’s Market (2521 N Clark St, 312-638-9151)
Birds in the sanctuary, butterflies in the garden and an ark’s worth of creatures at the nearby zoo are enough to make an animal lover out of any kid, so if yours is looking to go meat-free, Sultan’s is the spot. The Lincoln Park outpost of Wicker Park’s Middle Eastern mainstay is known for freshly fried falafel (50 cents a piece), baked spinach or meat pies ($2), silky hummus and smoky baba ghanoush ($4–$8)—grab a little of everything to picnic guilt-free.
You might also like
- Day care, nanny or au pair?
- Free museum days at the best Chicago museums
- Pumpkin patches near Chicago
- Birthday party ideas
- The 6 best apple picking spots near Chicago
- The top 6 playgrounds for water features
- 5 great indoor playgrounds
- Kid-friendly bars and pubs in Chicago
- Testing out babysitter services in Chicago
- Halloween activities for kids (that aren't too spooky)