"There were many films this year that I am glad I saw, both serious, thought-provoking films and light entertainments. Thus, in no particular order:
1. Paradise Now - tackling the most difficult issue of our time, Palestine/Israel, without rancour or polemic.
2. Death of Mr Lazarescu - a bleak but engaging story.
3. Hidden - compelling thriller with dark undertow.
4. Syriana - a violent story of global politics and oil.
5. Thank You And Goodnight - one episode in the struggle between truth and power.
6. The Queen - a thoughtful exposition of the strengths and weaknesses of monarchy.
7. A Scanner Darkly - vivid telling of PK Dick story about addiction and surveillance.
8. Casino Royale - thrills, danger, spills. With energy and wit.
9. Little Miss Sunshine - sharp, tangy comedy with a strong dose of realism.
10. The Squid and the Whale - bitter, but funny story of pretentious parents and family break-up.
Turkeys: The Departed - corny and crude. Ken Loach's Wind - biased and bombastic."