Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the monastery is built on a rocky promontory just below the north-eastern tip of the island, making for a sublime backdrop. It is dedicated to St Andrew, the first of Christ's apostles to be called to ministry. Legend has it that Andrew, also the patron saint of fishermen and seafarers, restored the sight of his ship's blind captain upon arrival in Cyprus from Palestine. This might explain the monastery's miracle-making reputation, the subject of numerous stories among locals (Christians and Muslims alike). The main church dates back to 1740, although more recent additions have been made to the whole complex. Maintenance and restoration work is long overdue on the building, but it has been postponed due to disagreements on how best to proceed.