Best known as the site of the Easter Rising in 1916, the GPO remains a potent symbol of Irish independence. Designed by Francis Johnston in 1818, it was almost completely destroyed by fire during the uprising, and had barely been restored six years later when the civil war did further damage to the building. There are still bullet holes in the walls and columns out front, and a series of paintings inside depicts moments from the Easter Rising.
In a window, and visible from the outside, is the beautiful Death of Cúchulainn, a statue by Oliver Sheppard commemorating the building's reopening in 1929. Cúchulainn, the legendary knight of the Red Branch, is used as a symbol by both Loyalist and Republican paramilitary groups. Such terror did Cúchulainn inspire in his enemies that, even after they had succeeded in killing him, no one dared approach his body until ravens landed on his shoulders. At the time of writing, there was a talk of a dedicated museum on the 1916 Uprising being installed in the GPO.