The only original dwelling of Lady Stair's Close still standing, Lady Stair's House is remarkable for its sharp turnpike staircases and maze-like layout. Built by William Gray in 1622, it was given to the City of Edinburgh in 1907, and now contains curiosities and memorabilia relating to three of Scotland's most celebrated writers: Sir Walter Scott, Robert Burns and Robert Louis Stevenson. Early editions are supplemented by personal effects, including a chessboard and a large ornate pipe once belonging to Scott and one of Burns' snuffboxes. A small corner of the museum contains a selection of the authors' works and comfy chairs in which to curl up and read them. There's also a 'trip step' staircase - a 17th-century burglar alarm - in situ. The museum's permanent displays are supplemented by a programme of temporary exhibitions on Scottish writers past and present.