Conrad Shawcross video interview
The sculptor takes Time Out on an exclusive tour of his east London studio to explore the making of his new work ‘Timepiece’
Wed Aug 14 2013
Known for his complicated sculptures that have the appearance of machines, east London-based artist Conrad Shawcross isn’t one to shy away from a challenge. So when the Director of Camden’s iconic Roundhouse contacted him last year to create a site-specific work, Shawcross jumped at the chance.
Taking its inspiration from the 24 columns in the main space, ‘Timepiece’ has transformed the building into an immersive clock installation. We caught up with Shawcross ahead of the opening to talk about this awe-inspiring piece that will turn everyone into their own gnomon (that’s the spike of a sundial to you and me).
- Horst: Photographer of Style
- Truth and Memory: British Art of the First World War
- Francesca Woodman: Zigzag
- Late Turner: Painting Set Free
- Primrose: Early Colour Photography in Russia
- Astronomy Photographer of the Year
- Quentin Blake - Inside Stories
- Gilbert & George: Scapegoating Pictures for London
- Joan Fontcuberta: Stranger Than Fiction