Conrad Shawcross video interview
The sculptor takes Time Out on an exclusive tour of his east London studio to explore the making of his new work ‘Timepiece’
Wed Aug 14 2013
Known for his complicated sculptures that have the appearance of machines, east London-based artist Conrad Shawcross isn’t one to shy away from a challenge. So when the Director of Camden’s iconic Roundhouse contacted him last year to create a site-specific work, Shawcross jumped at the chance.
Taking its inspiration from the 24 columns in the main space, ‘Timepiece’ has transformed the building into an immersive clock installation. We caught up with Shawcross ahead of the opening to talk about this awe-inspiring piece that will turn everyone into their own gnomon (that’s the spike of a sundial to you and me).
- World Press Photo Exhibition
- Astronomy Photographer of the Year
- Constructing Worlds: Photography and Architecture in the Modern Age
- Chris Stein/Negative: Me, Blondie and The Advent of Punk
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- Sigmar Polke: Alibis
- Truth and Memory: British Art of the First World War
- Barbican Christmas Market
- Egon Schiele: The Radical Nude