Conrad Shawcross video interview
The sculptor takes Time Out on an exclusive tour of his east London studio to explore the making of his new work ‘Timepiece’
Wed Aug 14 2013
Known for his complicated sculptures that have the appearance of machines, east London-based artist Conrad Shawcross isn’t one to shy away from a challenge. So when the Director of Camden’s iconic Roundhouse contacted him last year to create a site-specific work, Shawcross jumped at the chance.
Taking its inspiration from the 24 columns in the main space, ‘Timepiece’ has transformed the building into an immersive clock installation. We caught up with Shawcross ahead of the opening to talk about this awe-inspiring piece that will turn everyone into their own gnomon (that’s the spike of a sundial to you and me).
- Pipilotti Rist: Worry Will Vanish
- Post Pop: East Meets West
- Drawn by Light: The Royal Photographic Society Collection
- Astronomy Photographer of the Year
- Conflict, Time, Photography
- Constructing Worlds: Photography and Architecture in the Modern Age
- Guy Bourdin: Image Maker
- Sigmar Polke: Alibis
- Chris Stein/Negative: Me, Blondie and The Advent of Punk
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year