History of Oxford Street in pictures
A gallery of images from the history of London's busiest shopping streets
Its hard to imagine that Oxford Street was once lined with independent traders selling their wares from small shops, while the main mode of transport wasn't the bus but horse and cart. Today, it is the capital's most famous shopping area, attracting millions of people each year to browse its department and flagship stores. Time Out takes a look back at images and facts about its history. Words by Abigail Lelliott
Marble Arch is situated at the west end of Oxford Street at the junction with Edgware Road and Park Lane. It was designed by John Nash and was originally used at the entrance to the courtyard at Buckingham Palace. Following the expansion of the palace, the Arch was moved to its current location in 1851. It's in a peculiar spot, as it now sits on a traffic island, though in 2005 there were proposals put foward to move it across the road to the Speakers' Corner entrance to Hyde Park where it could enjoy greater public use.