The chapel built here in 493 by St Gaudosius was replaced in 1585 by the current church and monastery. The monks' cells were little houses, each with its own garden, and the belvedere affords a high, hazy view over the Bay of Naples. Occupied by monks of the Camaldolese order until 1998 (by which time only three were left), the site was then taken over by the Sisters of St Bridget. A meticulous restoration of the buildings, kitchen gardens and walkways now allows the thriving religious community to cater for religious retreats, with prayer meetings and simple, serene accommodation. Visitors are very welcome, but groups are advised to make a courtesy call beforehand in order to avoid any disappointment.