German naturalist Anton Dohrn founded this aquarium in 1872, making it one of Europe's oldest. The ground floor still contains the original 24 tanks, housing sea creatures from the Bay of Naples: coral, jellyfish, turtles, sea horses, an octopus or two, lobsters and starfish. Water for the tanks is brought in from 300m (1,050ft) out in the bay. Luckily for the inmates, it's filtered before being used. Legend has it that the entire contents of the aquarium were boiled up to make a massive fish soup during the famine that struck the city in 1944; the less than philanthropic truth is that its contents were cooked up for the British Allied Commander Field Marshal Henry Maitland Wilson, after the liberation of the city in the same year.