After five years of planning, the Center for Architecture opened to acclaim in the fall of 2003. Founded in 1867, the organization languished for years on the sixth floor of a Lexington Avenue edifice, far out of sight (and mind) for all but the most devoted architecture aficionados. After a design competition, Andrew Berman Architect was chosen to transform the space into a fitting home for architectural debate. Berman cut away large slabs of flooring at the street and basement levels, converting underground spaces into bright, museum-quality galleries. The building is New York’s first public space to use an energy-efficient geothermal system. Water from two 1,260-foor wells is piped through the building to help heat and cool it.
|Venue name:||AIA Center for Architecture||Contact:|
536 La Guardia Pl
|Cross street:||Between Bleecker and W 3rd Sts|
|Opening hours:||Mon–Fri 9am–8pm, Sat 11am–5pm|
|Transport:||Subway: A, C, E, B, D, F, M to W 4th St|