50 best things to do this summer with NYC Kids
Mon Jun 27 2011
6. Head to a local beach Retreat to the sparkling sands at Coney Island, Brighton Beach, the Rockaways or another nearby shore.
7. Embark on a day trip There's no time like the (warm and sunny) present for a spur-of-the-moment getaway. There are plenty of amusement parks ( Rye Playland ), scenic landscapes ( Bear Mountain State Park ) and historic sites within an hour or two of the city.
8. Grab an ice cream cone Nothing's sweeter than a frozen treat on a hot day. Stop by the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory for some locally sourced peach ice cream, flag down the ber-quirky Big Gay Ice Cream Truck for some adventurous toppings or hit the recently opened Ample Hills Creamery.
9. Listen to an alfresco reading Fight summer brain drain with these cozy storytimes. Kids can take in tall tales in the shadow of the Hans Christian Andersen statue in Central Park, listen to a "mystery reader" spin yarns at Wave Hill and more.
10. Governors Island! A mere seven-minute ferry ride from lower Manhattan, the isle offers acres of vast, Frisbee-friendly space, historical tours and a rotating schedule of family-oriented events. There's also free bike riding on Fridays.