50 best things to do this summer with NYC Kids
Mon Jun 27 2011
Photograph: Mystic Seaport
Discovery Barn, Mystic Seaport CT
41. Plan a weekend getaway Water parks, scenic towns and even a castle can be found within a couple hours of the city. Kids of all ages will love the Mystic Seaport Museum and the sweets in Hershey, Pennsylvania.
42. Head to Howard Beach and Broad Channel Explore the bounty of wildlife in this southern Queens nabe. Grab dinner at Carosello Restaurant and Arcade; you can relax over an order of calamari and a glass of merlot while the kids play arcade games.
43. Catch a drive-in movie Treat your kids to some old-fashioned fun at a nearby theater.
44. Splash around at a park Many of the city's playground are tricked out with fountains, sprinklers and other cool water features. Check out some of our favorites, like River Avenue Park in the Bronx—passing subway trains activate the playground's water jets and lights.
45. Eat outdoors Ditch your dining room table and plan an open-air meal. Munch on a 'Wichcraft sandwich in Bryant Park, grab a Shake Shack burger to go or dine in front of the Mermaid Inn.