Make your own Easter basket
Create beautiful bundles with beans, bunnies and more.
Mon Mar 22 2010
In honor of Easter, we asked candy mavens at our favorite city confectioners—Jacques Torres Chocolate, Dewey's, Dylan's Candy Bar, Vosges Haut-Chocolat and LIC factory Sweet & Sara—to pick out their favorite spring items for DIY baskets that kids can help assemble at home. To make one, you'll first need a vessel: Choose a basket from Michaels or a bucket, which can be decorated with stickers and glitter, from Party City. Next, get "shred" to fill out the bottom (an eco-friendly bag is only $1.50 at Kmart). Line the basket, and then place the bigger items in, working from left to right. Have your tots fill in holes with all thelittle extras.
1. The chocoholic
* Backpack Bunny, $23; at Jacques Torres
* Chocolate-covered Peeps, $1.50/pack of two; at Walgreens
* Milk-chocolate pig, $10; at Jacques Torres
* Vosges Haut-Chocolat Deep Milk Chocolate Eggs, $22/pack of four; at Vosges Haut-Chocolat
* Chocolate foil-covered eggs, $11/lb; at Dewey's Candy
* Cadbury Creme Eggs, $3/pack of four, and Cadbury Mini Eggs, $5.50; at Kmart
* Hershey's Bunnies, $1.50/pack of two; at Walgreens. Hershey's Kisses Packs, $5.50; at Kmart
2. The gummy guru
* Jelly beans, $11/lb; at Dewey's Candy
* DCB gum gift box, $10; at Dylan's Candy Bar
* Gummy rabbits, $11/lb; at Dewey's Candy
* Multicolored giant candy necklace, $3.50; at Dylan's Candy Bar
* Rubber-duck Pez, $1.50; at Economy Candy
* Starburst jelly-bean eggs, $1.25; at Walgreens
* Fun Sweets cotton candy, $2.50; at Dewey's Candy
* Easter Pals Jelly Candy on a Stick, $2; at Dewey's Candy
3. The vegan vixen
* Swedish Fish Eggs, $1--$1.25; at Walgreens
* Sour Patch Bunnies, $1--$1.25; at Walgreens
* S'mores, $4; at sweetandsara.com
* Chocolate bark, $3.50; at sweetandsara.com
* Pez, $1.50; at Economy Candy
* Skittles plastic eggs, $1.25; at Walgreens
* Glow gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, $7; at Whole Foods
* Vosges Organic Dominica Noir bar, $8.50; at Vosges Haut-Chocolat
Dewey's Candy 141 Front St at Pearl St, Dumbo, Brooklyn (718-422-1333)
Dylan's Candy Bar 1011 Third Ave between 60th and 61 Sts (646-735-0078, dylanscandybar.com)
Economy Candy 108 Rivington St between Essex and Ludlow Sts (800-352-4544, economycandy.com)
Jacques Torres Go to mrchocolate.com for store locations.
Kmart Go to kmart.com for store locations.
Michaels Go to michaels.com for store locations.
Party City Go to partycity.com for store locations.
Vosges Haut-Chocolat Go to vosgeschocolate.com for store locations.
Walgreens Go to walgreens.com for store locations.
Whole Foods Go to wholefoodsmarket.com for store locations.