Theater & Performance
FringeNYC Encores Series announced: Catch the crème de la Fringe—next month!
Photograph: Jeanette Sears
If you’ve been following our superhuman coverage of this year’s Fringe Festival, you’ll know there are more shows than anyone could possibly see. Even more daunting, many offerings can cause internal hemorrhaging from sheer awfulness. Not to worry, though: The Fringe does after the festival what it fails to do before: curate! Each September, the organizers bring back shows people actually like. This year, the Encores Series takes place in two venues: solo acts at the Baruch Performing Arts Center (Sept 4–27) and full-cast shows at SoHo Playhouse (Sept 4–Oct 5). Among the Encores shows we’ve reviewed are:
Gary Busey's One Man Hamlet
Murder Margaret and Me
Fatty Fatty No Friends
The Imbible: A Spirited History of Drinking
This is Where We Live
Tickets for performances at Baruch are available online or by calling 646-312-5073. You can buy tickets to shows at SoHo Playhouse at OvationTix or by calling 212-352-3101. Happy post-Fringe Encoring!
- The highs and lows of Disney’s Into the Woods
- You can now do some holiday (window) shopping with Google Maps
- Coney Island to host New Year’s Eve party with Parachute Jump ball drop and fireworks
- MoMA to recall the African-American exodus from the Jim Crow South
- Exchange a blanket for free beer at these Brooklyn bars