Food & Drink
Jafflechutes will make it rain grilled cheese next month
Photograph: Virginia Rollinson
Grilled cheese falling from the sky—no, it's not just the stuff of our drunken dreams, it's also the MO of Jafflechutes, an Australia-based "float-down eatery" that specializes in flinging melty, cheesy sandwiches at the good people of Melbourne and New York. The Aussie fromage fiends have hit Bushwick, Williamsburg and the West Village since debuting in NYC in May; now they're targeting Greenpoint.
Sometime in early September—the exact date will be announced on the company's Twitter page—you will be able to pre-order a grilled cheese using PayPal, wait at Brooklyn's the Diamond at a designated time and watch with awe as your sammie is flung from the bar's roof safely to your waiting arms via mini parachutes. Yes, this is a real thing. Don't believe us? See for yourself:
- Dash hideously at the Ugly Sweater Run 5K this Saturday
- Make a duck face with One World Trade at Albany Plaza's "selfie kiosk"
- The MTA takes straphangers on a trip back to the subway of 1966
- Calling all fried-chicken fans: Pies 'n' Thighs is coming to Manhattan
- Brooklyn rent prices grew at triple the rate of Manhattan in 2014