Music & Nightlife
Meatpacking District hosts free NYC concerts and comedy shows in August
time out, Photograph: Lizz Kuehl
If waltzing through the Meatpacking District's many swanky shopping options has your wallet running a little low, you might be in luck: The district is hosting a four-night music and comedy festival, and unlike most of what you'll find in the area's bougie boutique shops, the series is entirely free. Punctuating a stocked lineup of summer NYC concerts, the event features sketch comedy and improv from the Upright Citizens Brigade, pictured, as well as folk band the Murphy Beds playing its particular blend of classic Irish and Americana revival. On the last night, catch Yeah Yeah Yeahs drummer Brian Chase performing an experimental jazz set (if Karen O's new material is any proof, solo acts budding from the beloved NYC crew are definitely something to watch out for).
The shows will take place outdoors at Gansevoort Plaza (Gansevoort St between Hudson St and Ninth Ave) from 6–9pm, and though all are free, you'll want to R.S.V.P. here to reserve a seat. See below for the full schedule of events.
Monday, August 18: The Murphy Beds & Friends
Tuesday, August 19: The Upright Citizens Brigade
Wednesday, August 20: The Upright Citizens Brigade
Thursday, August 21: An Evening with Brian Chase
- Threes Brewing hosts Delaney Barbecue, The Meat Hook and Roberta’s
- Dash hideously at the Ugly Sweater Run 5K this Saturday
- Make a duck face with One World Trade at Albany Plaza's "selfie kiosk"
- The MTA takes straphangers on a trip back to the subway of 1966
- Calling all fried-chicken fans: Pies 'n' Thighs is coming to Manhattan