Impress the boss or the parents
Grand interiors, refined cuisine, and blinding wine lists make up these schmancy, fail-safe crowd-pleasers.
Fri Jul 11 2008
City Hall (lunch and dinner)
Black-and-white marble floors and cavernous dining rooms mark one of Tribeca’s grandest interiors at this opulent American steakhouse. Although you could go blind scanning for a bottle under $50 on the extensive wine list.
Del Posto (lunch)
With four-star ambitions and prices to match, Mario Batali’s Del Posto set the bar awfully high when it opened in 2005, but this restaurant has become nothing less than the city’s top destination for refined, upscale Italian cuisine.
Gramercy Tavern (lunch)
The handoff from founding chef Tom Colicchio to Michael Anthony (Blue Hill at Stone Barns) carried the rarity of a papal succession, yet the farmhouse-style setting, with its decorative brambles, pinecones and intoxicating smell from the wood-burning oven, is still here.
Payard Patisserie & Bistro (lunch and dinner)
Take Mom to this an elegant mahogany-paneled dining room with face-lift–friendly lighting and glittering belle epoque mirrors for contemporary and traditional dishes.
Estiatorio Milos (lunch)
You’ll find an impressive collection of fish packed into the ice bar at this stylish Hellenic haunt. The preparation is classic Greek.
• Le Cirque (lunch and dinner)
• 21 Club (lunch and dinner)
• Asiate (lunch)
• Bar Milano (lunch)
• Barbetta Restaurant (lunch)
• Beacon (lunch and dinner)
• Brasserie Ruhlmann (dinner)
• Chanterelle (lunch)
• China Grill (lunch and dinner)
• Dawat (lunch and dinner)
• Delmonico's (lunch and dinner)
• Devi (lunch and dinner)
• Esca (lunch)
• Firebird Russian Restaurant (lunch and dinner)
• Gotham Bar and Grill (lunch)
• Le Perigord (lunch and dinner)
• Mercer Kitchen (lunch and dinner)
• Mesa Grill (lunch and dinner)
• Métrazur (lunch and dinner)
• Oceana (lunch)
• Pampano (lunch)
• Patroon (lunch and dinner)
• Pera Mediterranean Brasserie (lunch and dinner)
• Sea Grill (lunch and dinner)
• Shun Lee Palace (lunch and dinner)
• Smith & Wollensky - New York (lunch)
• Tamarind (lunch)
• Telepan (lunch)
• The Post House (lunch)
• Town (lunch and dinner)
• Union Square Café (lunch)