30 summer films you need to see
Sweat it out with TONY’s selection of soon-to-be blockbusters and arthouse stunners.
Thu Apr 26 2012
Need more info? The flesh-chomping terror goes down at a water park called Big Wet; on the menu are a gaggle of top-heavy babes and action hero Ving Rhames. For those not yet savvy to the trashy pleasures of this ultragross horror series, it’s time to jump in. (June 1)
If you already know about the weird, wild Westerns of Italy’s Sergio Leone, we tip our bullet-pocked hat to you. But there’s much more to the ’60s subgenre than is commonly appreciated. Film Forum books three weeks’ worth of the most bizarre entries. (June 1–21)
"Paramount in the '70s"
The Museum of the Moving Image presents an enticing monthlong program of New Hollywood classics. See everything—from the first two Godfather films to Elaine May’s hilarious A New Leaf—in their full big-screen glory. (June 2–July 1)
You can’t blame Fox for releasing, at last count, seven trailers for this movie: Ridley Scott’s new sci-fi film (his first since 1982’s Blade Runner) is occasion enough to merit it. This spooky-looking space misadventure is a prequel to Scott’s other masterpiece, Alien, and features a gorgeous cast—Charlize Theron, Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender—getting into bodily harm with a foreign species. No word yet on what, exactly, jumps out of the stomach. (June 8)
Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present
Maybe you know her as the Serb provocateur who sat motionless in a MoMA gallery for months. This perceptive profile unpacks Abramovic’s entire career, deftly toggling between rigorous intentions and tearful responses. Breathtaking. (June 13)
You might also like
- 21 excuses that only work in New York
- Ten illegal things New Yorkers do all the time
- 25 phenomenal things to do in NYC this weekend
- The Book of Mormon
- 22 ways to spot a Californian in NYC
- Let your breasts roam free and proud on Go Topless Day!
- 47 totally excellent things to do in NYC this September
- 10 photos of rude subway riders that will fill you with rage
- Washington Square Outdoor Art Exhibit
- 27 things you should never say to a New Yorker