Maleficent reviewed, plus our favorite Disney villainesses
Angelina Jolie fits the part perfectly, but the movie lets her down
Wed May 28 2014
Tweenage princess obsessives will find much to love about Disney's rethink of its iconic bad girl, but are we alone in thinking this fantasy could have been a lot meaner? When Ridley Scott's gawd-awful Legend comes to mind, you know that's a sign of caution. Our review is here; hate-watchers, tide yourselves over with our definitive list of the eight most vile Disney villainesses.
- Rated as: 3/5
Sometimes a piece of perfect casting goes a long way: Angelina Jolie only has to cock one mildly perturbed, ruthlessly arched eyebrow to upstage all the fairy dust swirling around her in Disney’s uneven rethink of its classic villainess.
“He didn’t trust women or cats.” So said one of Walt Disney’s chief animators of his boss. Not convinced? Take a look at these outrageously evil womenfolk.
Get in touch
- The best seafood restaurants in NYC
- New York's quirkiest museums
- The best stoner movies of all time
- See captivating photos of NYC’s legendary creative spaces
- How to find an affordable therapist in NYC
- The 20 best-selling postcards from NYC's top museums
- The 100 best movies of all time
- Jane Lynch talks about her musical journey and her show at Joe’s Pub
- The best psychics in NYC
- Quiz: How much of a New Yorker are you?