Maleficent reviewed, plus our favorite Disney villainesses
Angelina Jolie fits the part perfectly, but the movie lets her down
Wed May 28 2014
Tweenage princess obsessives will find much to love about Disney's rethink of its iconic bad girl, but are we alone in thinking this fantasy could have been a lot meaner? When Ridley Scott's gawd-awful Legend comes to mind, you know that's a sign of caution. Our review is here; hate-watchers, tide yourselves over with our definitive list of the eight most vile Disney villainesses.
- Rated as: 3/5
Sometimes a piece of perfect casting goes a long way: Angelina Jolie only has to cock one mildly perturbed, ruthlessly arched eyebrow to upstage all the fairy dust swirling around her in Disney’s uneven rethink of its classic villainess.
“He didn’t trust women or cats.” So said one of Walt Disney’s chief animators of his boss. Not convinced? Take a look at these outrageously evil womenfolk.
Get in touch
- Meet 11 New Yorkers who break the millennial stereotype
- The most anticipated new albums of 2016
- The best pho restaurants in NYC
- A real-life NYC dominatrix dishes on doing your dirty work (NSFW)
- The best jazz clubs in NYC
- Star Wars’ John Boyega talks the role of a lifetime and petting the Wookiee
- The 11 best places to get New Year's Day brunch
- Quentin Tarantino chats it up about his new talky Western The Hateful Eight
- The 21 most romantic NYC engagement spots
- The best things to do on Christmas in NYC