Fitness guide: The best fitness classes, sports and gyms in NYC
Stay in shape and look great with our NYC fitness guide, featuring the hottest trends, cool classes, fun sports, workout routines, and gyms and health clubs.
Tue Sep 10 2013
Photograph: Russ and Reyn
We found some of NYC’s fittest—including the acrobatic cast of the modern circus show Traces—to help you get the body you want. Plus, yoga classes for the impatient, affordable gym ideas for the membership-phobe and more. Edited by Jonathan Shannon
Fitness guide 2012
The acrobats describe their moves and we suggest classes to work on those body parts.
Watch the cast of Traces pull off acrobatic moves.
Eight programs to work your abs, arms and chest, lower body or overall toning.
New York trainers provide a reality check.
Whether you want to see results, need to relax or don't think you have the time, we have the perfect class for you.
Affordable sessions and fitness centers for the membership-phobe.
Read this list. Get strong.
Who have you got a gym crush on, and what do you intend to do about it?
Experts tell you how to deal with jerks.
Personal fitness 2012: Gyms, dance classes and exercise plans
Reboot your personal fitness routine with NYC’s coolest exercise trend—dance-inspired workouts. Plus, tips from hot dancers, classes for nondancers, gyms and more. Edited by Sarah Bruning
Photograph: Krista Schlueter
Personal fitness doesn’t have to be boring: Leave the treadmill behind and tap into dance’s continuing pop-culture surge with fun exercise plans that help build long, lean muscles. Pro dancers give you advice, and we tell you where to find the city’s best dance workouts. For the dance-averse, we've got creative cardio alternatives that provide the same benefits, and for everyone, a roundup of fitness centers so you can decide on the best gym for you.
You might also likeSee more in Sports & Fitness
Write your own review
Events calendar for New York City
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park
- Best gyms and health clubs in New York City 2013
- Where to roller-skate: Roller-skating rinks and parties in NYC
- Best men's spas in New York City
- Best gyms and fitness classes in New York City 2013
- Day trips: Hiking and biking
- New York attractions: The best places to visit in 2013 and beyond
- Find a CrossFit gym in NYC and learn about the benefits of CrossFit