New Video: Courtney Act's "Mean Gays"
The Australian songbird sends up West Hollywood—with a little help from her Drag Race friends—in her latest song and clip
Fri May 16 2014
On May 19, we'll find out if the very talented and frequently charming Aussie import Courtney Act (say it with a Crocodile Dundee accent) will be this season's winner of the popular TV contest RuPaul's Drag Race. While it's a closer competition than it has been in recent years, Ms. Act (née Shane Jenek) is probably the odd queen out among the final three—halfway through the season, the show started portraying her as a mildly undermining villainess, and mean girls don't tend to win.
Speaking of mean: This week, Courtney—who first came to fame as a finalist on Australian Idol—unveiled her latest single and video, "Mean Gays," which takes aim at the pretty boys in her adopted homeland of Los Angeles. The clip features all sides of the singer—including her Shane side—plus cameos from fellow Drag Race finalists Adore Delano and New York's own Bianca Del Rio (yay, sisterhood!).
Later this month, you can hear Act sing that song and other pop gems when she returns to NYC's Laurie Beechman Theatre with her show Boys Like Me.
Get in touch
- The 10 best shows at SummerStage 2015
- Juliette Binoche on the seduction of acting
- 101 things to do in New York
- See Broadway’s sexiest in Top Bottoms of Burlesque
- Your favorite Game of Thrones characters played by notable New Yorkers
- The best flea markets in New York
- 20 reasons why spring makes us better New Yorkers
- Cool producers you need to know in 2015
- 10 Vin Diesel movies that prove he can actually act
- Noah Baumbach on millennials, his new comedy and New York movies