Tess Pare-Mayer suggests Shannon Arell of Marie Bov Salon
Dana Leong suggests HairMates
Kevin Fernandez suggests De Berardinis Salon
Mia Moretti suggests Jeanine Falletta of Senses New York
Valerie suggests Astor Place Hairstylist
Emma Brady suggests Grace Heaven Hair Salon
Leandra Medine suggests Eli's Hair Design
Becka Diamond suggests Leonardo Manetti and Naomi Knights of Ion Studio
Lauren Beene suggests Thomas Baber of Deluxe Salon
RECOMMENDED: Full guide to the best hair salons in NYC
1. For cuts and styling in the comfort of your own home, seek out Shannon Arell. The house-visiting hairstylist says she's just as happy working with "soccer moms as Williamsburg hotties," and will collaborate with you to create a custom look. You can also visit her in her natural habitat, Marie Bov Salon. For house appointments: 917-750-8516 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For salon appointments: 27 E 20th St between Park Ave South and Broadway (212-533-3400, mariebove.com). Men's haircuts start at $60, women's start at $75, single-process color starts at $85, highlights start at $95. House appointments cost an additional $25.
2. Guys on the hunt for a quality cut should book it to Arrojo Studio, where stylist Hilary Bilstad handles dapper, man-approved hair maintenance. 180 Varick St between Charlton and King Sts (212-242-7786, arrojostudio.com). Cuts start at $71.
3. East Village salon HairMates is known for its expert styling of Asian hair. 13 Third Ave between 7th and 8th Sts (212-777-4612, hairmates-ny.com). Cuts start at $25, color starts at $75, highlights start at $90.
4. Fans of close-cropped cuts need look no further than De Berardinis Salon in Chelsea, where stylist Michael Thomas executes flawless men's trims. 155 W 21st St between Sixth and Seventh Aves (212-967-0927, deberardinis.com). Men's cuts start at $70, women's cuts start at $100, color starts at $95, highlights start at $120.
5. In desperate need of a color boost? Head to Jeanine Falletta at Senses New York for spot-on highlights and dye jobs, including the perfect sunny blond. 138 Fifth Ave between 18th and 19th Sts (212-242-7979, sensesny.com). Men's single-process color starts at $75, women's single-process color starts at $130, highlights start at $150.
6. Astor Place Hairstylist provides jaw-droppingly cheap cuts of surprising quality. 2 Astor Pl at Broadway (212-475-9854, astorplacehairnyc.com). Cuts start at $15, color starts at $35, highlights start at $50.
7. All-natural doesn't mean bland: Grace Heaven Hair Salon offers rich, organic, herbal color—even bold shades like inky black. 226 E 3rd St between Aves B and C (212-253-5490, graceheaven.com). Single-process herbal color starts at $95, highlights start at $155.
8. Give winter-worn hair a pick-me-up with a moisturizing keratin hair treatment at Eli's Hair Design. 243 E 84th St between Second and Third Aves (212-288-8893). Keratin treatment $250.
9. Ion Studio cofounder Leonardo Manetti excels at blunt cuts, while colorist Naomi Knights tackles hard-to-execute shades like Arctic Blond. 141 Wooster St between Houston and Prince Sts (212-343-9060, ionstudionyc.com). Cuts $85--$200, single-process color starts at $110, highlights start at $140.
10. Those in need of maintenance for long, luscious locks should turn to Thomas Baber at Deluxe Salon. 211 North 4th St at Roebling St, Williamsburg, Brooklyn (718-387-2970, deluxewilliamsburg.com). Women's cuts start at $75, men's cuts start at $50.