Millbrook Country House; Millbrook, NY
Take a jet-set escape (without the flight) and experience la dolce vita in New York.
Tue May 8 2012
RECOMMENDED: See all weekend getaway ideas
Run by former Gourmet editor Lorraine Alexander and her husband Giancarlo Grisi, Millbrook Country House brings a chunk of the Emilia-Romagna region to the affluent Dutchess County village. After Grisi and his brother sold their family’s late-Renaissance villa near Modena, the Italian-born innkeeper brought his share of the furniture, art and objects to this 204-year-old residence. The Adriatic style is perhaps most obvious in the Barocco room, where a reproduction of Guido Reni’s La Aurora (which the couple found in a flea market in Santa Margherita Ligure, down the coast from Genoa) hangs over the gilded Venetian bed.
Listen to Puccini on the Bose sound system or peruse the extensive library of books on food, art and travel in the property’s sprawling living areas, or chill in the peaceful grounds, where the scent of basil and rosemary wafts from the herb garden—the harvest can be sampled in your breakfast omelette. Afternoon tea with homemade baked goods or ice cream is also included. On request, the couple will serve guests a three-course dinner ($45 per person), made from local ingredients. Since the B&B has no liquor license, pick up a bottle at Millbrook Vineyards & Winery (26 Wing Road; 845-677-8383, millbrookwine.com). The winery, which also has a Tuscan estate, Villa Pillo, is holding an Italian buffet lunch on May 19 to pop the corks on its newly released tocai friulano ($55, advance purchase required). 3244 Sharon Tpke, Millbrook, NY; 845-677-9570, millbrookcountryhouse.com). Rates $175–$275; mention TONY when booking by phone to receive ten percent off the room rate on stays of at least two nights through June 30 (excluding Memorial Day weekend).
See more in Things to Do
Events calendar for New York City
- Weekend getaways from NYC: Quick, easy and affordable escapes
- Day trips from NYC to beaches, parks, wineries and more
- Weekend trips from NYC to beach towns, mountain resorts and more
- Buses to Atlantic City from NYC and other transport options
- 40 things to do in Atlantic City, NJ, this summer
- Day trips from New York on the Metro-North train
- Atlantic City, NJ: The ultimate guide to the Boardwalk and beyond
- Day and weekend trips for history buffs, shoppers and foodies
- Best New York hotels: Choose your perfect place to stay
- Best budget hotels and hostels in New York City