An NYC metal sampler
Take an aural tour of NYC metal, past and present.
Tue May 28 2013
“Malfunction” by Cro-Mags (1985)
We rep for the storied punk-metal crossover scene of the early ’80s with a track from these hardcore heathens, still raising hell as of 2012, when former member Harley Flanagan assaulted current ’Mags bassist and a band associate at Webster Hall.
“Sugardaddy” by Brutal Truth (2009)
Gotham’s most illustrious grindcore export—represented here via a track from its fearsome comeback effort, Evolution Through Revolution—perfectly sums up the NYC-metal mind-set with its mix of roaring catharsis and blackly comic wisdom.
“Beg to Differ” by Prong (1990)
Prong frontman Tommy Victor now calls L.A. home, but in the ’80s he was a CBGB soundman, which helps explain the unusual range of his long-running alt-metal vehicle, whose style encompasses melodic postpunk, steely thrash and menacing industrial elements.
“Bound to Order” by Immolation (2013)
World renowned for their blend of death metal’s outlandish and more straightforwardly brutal modes, the Yonkers veterans celebrate their 25th anniversary this year with outstanding new LP Kingdom of Conspiracy. (See them live Wednesday, June 5, at Music Hall of Williamsburg, in the company of fellow old-schoolers Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death.)
“My Girlfriend's Girlfriend” by Type O Negative (1996)
Every self-respecting Gotham-metal enthusiast keeps a flame burning for the late Peter Steele—a Brooklyn native and former NYC Parks and Rec employee—whose transition from shamelessly un-PC punk-metal provocateur in Carnivore to sardonic goth-rock crooner in Type O Negative earned him a permanent position in the city’s musical pantheon.
You might also likeSee more in Live music
Write your own review
TONY metal sampler playlist on Spotify
Live music calendar for New York City
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City
- Thanksgiving playlist: Top 20 songs of gratitude
- 101 things to do in New York City in the fall
- New York attractions: Places on our radar
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes