An NYC metal sampler
Take an aural tour of NYC metal, past and present.
Tue May 28 2013
“All Men Play on 10” by Manowar (1984)
No outfit in NYC metal, and maybe in rock & roll at large, has dared to go further over the top than the mighty Manowar, the band that will forever epitomize the genre’s testosterone-juiced Neanderthal sector. (The group technically hailed from Auburn, New York, but racks up crucial local cred via the early-period membership of Bronx-born guitarist Ross “The Boss” Friedman, formerly of veteran NYC punk cutups the Dictators.)
“Time’s Up” by Living Colour (1990)
New York City metal would never be the same after avant-fusion shredder Vernon Reid and his Black Rock Coalition–spawned quartet stormed MTV in 1988, and racked up a Grammy the following year, with their blend of funk, thrash, hardcore and poignant R&B.
“Purgatorial Punishment” by Suffocation (2013)
Repping for Long Island since 1988, Suffocation is known worldwide as the authors of the tightest, most relentlessly punishing death metal on the planet. And as proved by Pinnacle of Bedlam, the band’s recent seventh LP, guitarist Terrence Hobbs, vocalist Frank Mullen & Co. regularly churn out some of catchiest songs the genre has seen.
“Unsung” by Helmet (1992)
A jazz geek who apprenticed with downtown avant-guitar demigod Glenn Branca, Page Hamilton came at metal from an oblique angle. With Helmet, he’d go on to give the genre a lean and harrowing makeover that resonated with headbangers, skaters and grungeheads alike.
“Flight of the Warrior” by Riot (1988)
Contemporaries of classic British acts such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Motörhead, NYC’s Riot failed to ascend into that immortal company, but nevertheless produced admirably hard-charging LPs such as 1988’s ThunderSteel.
You might also likeSee more in Live music
Write your own review
TONY metal sampler playlist on Spotify
Live music calendar for New York City
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City
- Thanksgiving playlist: Top 20 songs of gratitude
- 101 things to do in New York City in the fall
- New York attractions: Places on our radar
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes