NYC Metal 2013
We present a pictorial cross section of the local scene, featuring bands, venues, broadcasters, bloggers and more
Tue May 28 2013
Photograph: Jimmy Hubbard
In the years leading up to May 2011, the NYC metal scene existed in a weird state of limbo. The culture was thriving, with new bands popping up constantly and old standbys hitting town on the regular, but the community was missing a Cheers, as it were, a thematically coherent hang spot. (And no, B.B. King Blues Club & Grill and Club Europa, both unlikely mid-2000s metal havens, didn’t qualify; Williamsburg's Duff's Brooklyn remains a key gathering point, but it's a watering hole, not a live-music venue.) And then, as though by infernal decree, there was Saint Vitus: an honest-to-God metal bar—catering to both hipsters and heshers—situated at Greenpoint’s northern tip and run by a lovable group of bros-bandmates. Vitus is now a bustling thoroughfare, booking world-class acts from across the spectrum; this writer heads there for his death-metal fix, but whether you fancy doom, black, trad or hardcore, stepping into this cozy club will feel like coming home.
What defines NYC metal?
George Souleidis: "L'Amour was the club in the middle of nowhere Brooklyn that hosted some of the best bands in hard rock, metal, thrash, hardcore and everything in between dark and heavy. (Speaking personally, I practically lived there through my teens.) We're hoping to carry on that torch as their bastard long-haired stepchild."
Live music calendar for New York City
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City
- Thanksgiving playlist: Top 20 songs of gratitude
- 101 things to do in New York City in the fall
- New York attractions: Places on our radar
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes