NYC Metal 2013
We present a pictorial cross section of the local scene, featuring bands, venues, broadcasters, bloggers and more
Tue May 28 2013
Photograph: Krista Schlueter
If the NYC metal underground is a beehive, then Colin Marston’s Woodhaven studio is the queen’s lair. Bands from all over North America travel to Menegroth, the Thousand Caves, to partake of Marston’s signature clear, meaty tones, and to commune with this unassuming virtuoso—on guitar, bass and the “12-string Hell-Harp” also known as the Warr Guitar—who spends his spare time crafting avant-garde metal masterpieces of his own with Krallice, Dysrhythmia, Behold… the Arctopus and an elusive one-man band, Indricothere.
What defines NYC metal?
Live music calendar for New York City
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City
- Thanksgiving playlist: Top 20 songs of gratitude
- 101 things to do in New York City in the fall
- New York attractions: Places on our radar
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes