NYC Metal 2013
We present a pictorial cross section of the local scene, featuring bands, venues, broadcasters, bloggers and more
Tue May 28 2013
Photograph: Caroline Voagen Nelson
You may be wondering why in God’s name we’ve included the frontman of Gojira—a popular band from southwestern France—in an NYC-metal roundup. It’s simple: Joe Duplantier is now a Brooklynite, having settled there in 2011. While New York has birthed countless legends, one of the reasons this town remains a musical hot spot is that it still attracts the best and brightest from around the globe. We’ll be curious to see how Gotham life affects this enlightened headbanger, whose chopsy riffsmanship and eco-conscious spirituality have earned him a rabid following.
What defines NYC metal?
"Some very good friends of mine from New York, they have a band, Car Bomb. They're from Long Island, but they practice in Brooklyn and some of them live in the city. That's a very good example of a New York band. Very big brain. [Laughs] Very complicated music, but very interesting and a lot of innovation."
Live music calendar for New York City
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City
- Thanksgiving playlist: Top 20 songs of gratitude
- 101 things to do in New York City in the fall
- New York attractions: Places on our radar
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes