NYC Metal 2013
We present a pictorial cross section of the local scene, featuring bands, venues, broadcasters, bloggers and more
Tue May 28 2013
Photograph: Caroline Voagen Nelson
You may be wondering why in God’s name we’ve included the frontman of Gojira—a popular band from southwestern France—in an NYC-metal roundup. It’s simple: Joe Duplantier is now a Brooklynite, having settled there in 2011. While New York has birthed countless legends, one of the reasons this town remains a musical hot spot is that it still attracts the best and brightest from around the globe. We’ll be curious to see how Gotham life affects this enlightened headbanger, whose chopsy riffsmanship and eco-conscious spirituality have earned him a rabid following.
What defines NYC metal?
"Some very good friends of mine from New York, they have a band, Car Bomb. They're from Long Island, but they practice in Brooklyn and some of them live in the city. That's a very good example of a New York band. Very big brain. [Laughs] Very complicated music, but very interesting and a lot of innovation."
Live music calendar for New York City
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- Rising New York City bands you need to know
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Concerts in NYC: The best spring shows
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music shows in New York City in March
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City