What does Eddie Trunk have to do with NYC Metal?........... He doesnt support True Metal..... You will never see people like him or Jose Mangin (Sirious XM) at any real shows...... only those corporate backed tours and such..... Eddie Trunk and That Metal Show wouldve been cool many years ago.... in todays terms, way outdated......... Everyone else featured in this article has my respect for sure............ Ultimate Salutes to Fred Passero, Colin Marston, Immolation and all the pure gentlemen associated with Saint Vitus Bar............... Horns Up
NYC Metal 2013
We present a pictorial cross section of the local scene, featuring bands, venues, broadcasters, bloggers and more
Tue May 28 2013
Photograph: Jimmy Hubbard
If you’ve attended an underground metal show in NYC in the past five years or so, chances are you’ve breathed the same beer-and-sweat-perfumed air as Fred Pessaro. A tireless photographer and blogger—catch him under his nom du pit, Black Bubblegum, at Brooklyn Vegan, or at his latest gig, Invisible Oranges—Pessaro’s work creates a rare oasis of inclusiveness and optimism in a sometimes jaded, insular scene.
What defines NYC metal?
"Brooklyn. The entire borough is teeming with musicians, bands, promoters, venues and friends who all coexist peacefully together. I've never been part of a group of people who applaud the success of one another, yet use that success as a catalyst to strive toward individual achievement. It's positivity like that and friendly competition that helps to drive creativity, and makes everyone the best they can be."
I CAUGHT FOGHAT THERE, AND JOE PERRY GONE SOLO, IT WAS A GREAT CLUB, A TIGHT FIT ON SOLD OUT NIGHTS. I PLAYED THE BIGGER VENUE IN QUEENS A FEW YEARS LATER.
A big shout out to Eddie for keeping a piece of Americana alive and well. Many thanks to him and his cohorts. Plus he is a fellow die hard NY Mets fan.
Live music calendar for New York City
- The 50 best love songs ever made
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- The 50 best breakup songs
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music shows in New York City in April
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City