The battle of who could care less
When it comes to not giving an eff, there can be only one champion. Atlanta indie-rockers Deerhunter and Sweden’s Icona Pop: Assume your least concerned positions!
Mon Sep 9 2013
Photographs: Fredrik Etoall
||Singer Bradford Cox is an unusual-looking
fellow, and makes no bones about it: “Indie rock is such a bratty
culture, and I don’t see a lot of ugly people in it. I feel very proud
to be hideous. Thank God I don’t look like every other fucking dude
wearing their girlfriend’s fucking jeans out there onstage.”
||Pretty snappy. In fact, we’d go so far as to
say the ladies of Icona Pop do
care, at least about the way they look.
attire: Dresses, blood, blouses
in the back so my crack’s hangin’ out…” [new single “It’s My Party”]
|Perfect YOLO moment:||
||At a Minneapolis show last year, a heckler
called for the Knack’s “My Sharona.” Cox acceded with an hour-long
improvised rendition of the song. His response to the fuss after the
gig? “It’s not like fucking Lana Del Rey carved an upside-down cross on
her cheek and defecated all over herself onstage at fucking Bonnaroo.”
||The duo’s I-don’t-care anthem, “I Love It,” soundtracks Hannah’s cocaine binge in Girls—a TV show that makes caring about not caring into an art form.|
You might also like
Live music calendar for New York City
- The 50 best love songs ever made
- 50 sexiest songs ever made: From Marvin Gaye to Justin Timberlake
- Dance-party playlist: 100 greatest songs for an epic party
- The 50 best breakup songs
- The 50 best summer songs: Hit the beach with these summertime tunes
- New York attractions: New places that are already open
- New York attractions: Places opening in 2013 and beyond
- Goodbye, Williamsburg; hello, Greenpoint, Brooklyn!
- Concert schedule for live music shows in New York City in April
- Concert schedule for live music in New York City
Time Out videos
Tweets by Time Out NY MusicTweets by @TimeOutNYMusic
Subscribe to Time Out New York on Spotify for playlists and recommendations from our Music team.
Check out New York's best restaurants, hottest street style, cool apartments and more.