Downtown arts bonanza: Theater, music and dance take over NYC
This January, New York explodes with cutting-edge performance fests. Check out the shows here, and get the skinny on downtown arts festivals from its key players
Tue Jan 7 2014
Conventional wisdom holds that January in New York is a frozen wasteland, but we beg to differ. This month, performing-arts festivals of all stripes take over downtown, including the Public Theater’s Under the Radar, the sprawling NYC Winter Jazzfest, and interdisciplinary blowouts like Coil, American Realness and Other Forces. And best of all, they’re easy on the wallet. We got on the horn with the artists behind some of the coolest shows on offer—including the incomparable John Hodgman.
Interviews with this year's standout artists
Downtown arts festivals 2014
Downtown New York explodes with theater, dance and opera fests come January. We break down the offerings at five of the season’s coolest.
You might also like
- Third Annual Fourth of July Beach Party
- Fourth of July Fireworks at Brooklyn Grange
- Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks
- Jeppe Hein, "Please Touch the Art"
- Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest
- "Frida Kahlo: Art. Garden. Life."
- Rooftop Films
- Fourth of July at Sky Room
- 4th of July Fireworks Cruise on the Hornblower Hybrid
- IndieFest 2015
Here are the ten New York experiences you simply can’t miss.
Don’t fret, penny-pincher—each of these fun cheap date ideas will cost you $30 or less.
Tired of swamped tourist traps, huh? Check out these alternative things to do in New York.