Must-see concerts for Labor Day
Mon Sep 5 2011
Photograph: Todd Chalfant
RECOMMENDED: Full coverage of Labor Day in NYC
Jim Campilongo Electric Trio with Nels Cline at the Living Room
Campilongo and his stellar bandmates continue their longstanding LES gig tonight, with all-over-the-map six-string god Nels Cline sitting in.
Aoife O'Donovan at Rockwood Music Hall
A splendid, folksy singer whose voice soars in Crooked Still and Sometymes Why, Aoife O'Donovan comes to Rockwood for an intimate showcase of her own.
Lindsay Mendez and the Marco Paguia Trio at Birdland
The supervoiced Lindsay Mendez joins pianist Marco Paguia to perform jazzed-up versions of pop tunes in an evening of musical revisionism.
Darius Jones Quartet at Barbs
A powerhouse saxophonist with an unusually focused perspective, Darius Jones seems to conjure holy ghosts and prodigal sons with every solo. Read more in TONY's preview of the show.
Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks at Club Cach at Sofia's
Vince Giordano is so good at reinterpreting swing classics that he and his Nighthawks have appeared in Ghost World, Finding Forrester, The Aviator and Revolutionary Road, and they're here two nights a week to score some jumping tracks for you.
Events calendar for New York City
- Compare vintage and current scenes of NYC during the holidays
- Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Festival
- See the photos from the 2014 Smallest Penis in Brooklyn contest (NSFW)
- 31 things that only New Yorkers would ever put up with
- 16th Annual Chinatown Lunar New Year Parade & Festival
- 31 things that will definitely happen to you when moving to New York
- Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park Rink
- The High Line
- Chinese New Year Firecracker Ceremony and Cultural Festival