Greenpoint rising: The Brooklyn waterfront’s bar and food scene blows up
It isn’t just the Bounty and Achilles Heel sailing onto Greenpoint shores: The neighborhood welcomes a fleet of new restaurants and bars to its waterfront.
Tue Jul 9 2013
Move over, Williamsburg—the northern tip of nearby Greenpoint has become an up-and-coming dining destination, with new restaurants and bars popping up all along the waterfront. The spanking-new set spans Mediterranean small plates, New American fare, updated classic cocktails and draft beers. These four Greenpoint spots are worth the G-train hassle.
Sara Kramer (Reynards) and Sara Conklin (Cipriani) look to another seaboard—the Mediterranean—as inspiration for this airy small-plates spot, serving lamb tartare and Aleppo-pepper-spiced quaffs. 718-389-0640, glasserienyc.com.
- 95 Commercial St, (between Box St and Manhattan Ave), 11222
Brooklyn Star vets Nick Padilla and Waine Longwell are behind this stunning wood-paneled bar, with American bites (pimento-cheese toast, bourbon-slicked radishes) and reworked classic cocktails on offer. 347-227-7296, alamedabk.com.
- 195 Franklin St, (at Green St), 11222
From the wood-fired oven, chef Dennis Spina turns out braised pork, black bass in jura wine vinegar and paccheri with swordfish and kalamata olives at this laid-back Mediterranean-influenced eatery, launched by the team behind Roebling Tea Room. 718-383-8833, riverstyxny.com.
- 21 Greenpoint Ave, (between the East River and West St), 11222
Post up at the red-stained oak bar for draft brews (Bronx Pale Ale, Victory Donnybrook Stout) and tipples named after Simpsons jokes (an Aperol-gin Vassar Basher) at this no-frills neighborhood tavern. 718-349-2901.
- 105 Franklin St, (between Greenpoint Ave and Milton St), 11222
You might also like
- The 100 best dishes in New York City 2014: Top ten
- 100 best New York restaurants
- The best hot chocolate in NYC
- The 100 best dishes and drinks in New York City 2014
- The 100 best dishes in New York City 2014: Best sandwiches
- The 50 best brunch places in NYC
- The best cheap eats in NYC
- The 100 best dishes in New York City 2014: Best desserts
- The 100 best dishes in New York City 2014: Best meat
- 50 best New York bars