Which brings the total number of Urban Outfitters in Manhattan alone to TEN! Please stop rewriting corp press releases you guys. The real trend in city retail is the growing over-saturation of boring chain stores.
Herald Square Urban Outfitters is now open (slide show)
The company's biggest store in the U.S. features a salon and coffeeshop
Mon Jun 9 2014
Here's some weekend shopping news you might've missed, in case you were at Governors Ball all weekend: Urban Outfitters opened its new location in Herald Square.
At 57,000 square feet, this outpost is the company's biggest store yet. And with that all the space, you'll find much more than the usual offerings of music-fest–ready clothing, novelty books and home-decor goods. This location also features a hair salon, an expanded makeup department, an in-store shop from eyewear company Tortoise & Blonde, a large record department with more than 800 vinyl titles curated by Amoeba Records and a coffeeshop powered by Intelligentsia Coffee.
But wait, there's more! You'll also find a booth that prints out your own Instagram photos, a huge department dedicated to workout clothes and a large department-store-worthy shoe section. It's all part of the latest trend in retail, where stores are offering extras that encourage hanging out. Urban Outfitters opened a similar concept, Space Ninety 8, in Brooklyn earlier this year.
Get in touch
- Blondie’s Debbie Harry dishes on her new cabaret show
- Gorgeous photos of Macy's Flower Show
- The best style hacks for New Yorkers
- Nine ridiculous reviews of iconic New York landmarks
- The best services for entertaining at home
- It’s not me, it’s you—our breakup letters to the MTA
- The best cheap snacks in NYC—all under $5
- Elisabeth Moss talks Mad Men, Broadway and feminism
- See photos of the 2015 St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- Take a sneak peek at the new Mad Men exhibit