Which brings the total number of Urban Outfitters in Manhattan alone to TEN! Please stop rewriting corp press releases you guys. The real trend in city retail is the growing over-saturation of boring chain stores.
Herald Square Urban Outfitters is now open (slide show)
The company's biggest store in the U.S. features a salon and coffeeshop
Mon Jun 9 2014
Here's some weekend shopping news you might've missed, in case you were at Governors Ball all weekend: Urban Outfitters opened its new location in Herald Square.
At 57,000 square feet, this outpost is the company's biggest store yet. And with that all the space, you'll find much more than the usual offerings of music-fest–ready clothing, novelty books and home-decor goods. This location also features a hair salon, an expanded makeup department, an in-store shop from eyewear company Tortoise & Blonde, a large record department with more than 800 vinyl titles curated by Amoeba Records and a coffeeshop powered by Intelligentsia Coffee.
But wait, there's more! You'll also find a booth that prints out your own Instagram photos, a huge department dedicated to workout clothes and a large department-store-worthy shoe section. It's all part of the latest trend in retail, where stores are offering extras that encourage hanging out. Urban Outfitters opened a similar concept, Space Ninety 8, in Brooklyn earlier this year.
Get in touch
- Father John Misty opens up about marriage, New Orleans and death
- See photos of the Metropolitan Museum’s new rooftop commission
- The 20 best plays and Broadway musicals this summer
- The 15 most romantic hotels in America
- The 10 scariest post-apocalyptic movies
- Gilbert & George talk about their early work, controversy and booze
- Jim Parsons talks Twitter, God and acting on Broadway
- Jeff Garlin talks Curb, Girls Gone Wild and being a Twitter quitter
- Check out the multi-colored fun at this year's Holi party
- The coolest things to do on NYC rooftops