Which brings the total number of Urban Outfitters in Manhattan alone to TEN! Please stop rewriting corp press releases you guys. The real trend in city retail is the growing over-saturation of boring chain stores.
Herald Square Urban Outfitters is now open (slide show)
The company's biggest store in the U.S. features a salon and coffeeshop
Mon Jun 9 2014
Here's some weekend shopping news you might've missed, in case you were at Governors Ball all weekend: Urban Outfitters opened its new location in Herald Square.
At 57,000 square feet, this outpost is the company's biggest store yet. And with that all the space, you'll find much more than the usual offerings of music-fest–ready clothing, novelty books and home-decor goods. This location also features a hair salon, an expanded makeup department, an in-store shop from eyewear company Tortoise & Blonde, a large record department with more than 800 vinyl titles curated by Amoeba Records and a coffeeshop powered by Intelligentsia Coffee.
But wait, there's more! You'll also find a booth that prints out your own Instagram photos, a huge department dedicated to workout clothes and a large department-store-worthy shoe section. It's all part of the latest trend in retail, where stores are offering extras that encourage hanging out. Urban Outfitters opened a similar concept, Space Ninety 8, in Brooklyn earlier this year.
Get in touch
- The 15 best sex scenes with no sex in them
- The best soups, stews and soul-warming bowls in NYC
- Tom Scharpling on the return of The Best Show
- The best Italian restaurants in New York
- Adorable photos from the Westminster dog show
- Adam DeVine talks Workaholics
- New York's 20 coolest out-of-town spots
- Vintage photos of New York City at the turn of the century
- Director John Carpenter on composing his new album
- 25 reasons New York does winter better than Chicago