Stock up on '80s clothes at a Totally Tubular sale and party tonight
Clothes from a canceled TV show will turn up at Brooklyn's Film Biz Recycling this evening
Fri Jun 20 2014
Photograph: David Giesbrecht/The CW
What happens to props and costumes from TV shows and movies filmed in NYC? Well, they usually end up at Film Biz Recycling in Brooklyn. And tonight, the store is ushering in a new shipment with a totally awesome party starting at 8pm.
Film Biz Recycling has a policy of not saying where it gets its inventory from. But when the store announced its Totally Tubular '80s Fashion Party, we couldn't help but wonder: Are these clothes from the now-canceled The Carrie Diaries? (You know, that Sex and the City prequel series that on aired on the CW.) The show was filmed in NYC, and the sale mentions men's and women's 1980s apparel, shoes and even furniture. The fashion on The Carrie Diaries never quite reached SATC-like levels of covetworthy status, but it was still pretty good and you'll definitely score some major finds at this sale. Think minidresses featuring loud prints, chunky necklaces and neon accessories—the kind of stuff that's actually back in style anyway.
In addition to shopping, the event features free fuzzy navels, '80s karaoke and a DJ spinning classic songs from the Reagan era. A $5–$20 donation is suggested at the door, and you can R.S.V.P. here.
Get in touch
- Quiz: How much of a New Yorker are you?
- Comedian duo Desus and Mero share a guide to their favorite Bronx spots
- The 12 best restaurants for dim sum in NYC
- See the progress at the gargantuan Hudson Yards development project
- The best gelato shops in NYC
- See stunning photos from NYC Bodypainting Day
- Courtney Barnett on blowing up, endlessly touring and chowing down at Roberta’s
- Check out these photos of New York's cutest bodega cats
- The 10 best acts to see at Afropunk Festival 2015
- The best tiki bars and beach bars in NYC