Stock up on '80s clothes at a Totally Tubular sale and party tonight
Clothes from a canceled TV show will turn up at Brooklyn's Film Biz Recycling this evening
Fri Jun 20 2014
Photograph: David Giesbrecht/The CW
What happens to props and costumes from TV shows and movies filmed in NYC? Well, they usually end up at Film Biz Recycling in Brooklyn. And tonight, the store is ushering in a new shipment with a totally awesome party starting at 8pm.
Film Biz Recycling has a policy of not saying where it gets its inventory from. But when the store announced its Totally Tubular '80s Fashion Party, we couldn't help but wonder: Are these clothes from the now-canceled The Carrie Diaries? (You know, that Sex and the City prequel series that on aired on the CW.) The show was filmed in NYC, and the sale mentions men's and women's 1980s apparel, shoes and even furniture. The fashion on The Carrie Diaries never quite reached SATC-like levels of covetworthy status, but it was still pretty good and you'll definitely score some major finds at this sale. Think minidresses featuring loud prints, chunky necklaces and neon accessories—the kind of stuff that's actually back in style anyway.
In addition to shopping, the event features free fuzzy navels, '80s karaoke and a DJ spinning classic songs from the Reagan era. A $5–$20 donation is suggested at the door, and you can R.S.V.P. here.
Get in touch
- Meet 11 New Yorkers who break the millennial stereotype
- The most anticipated new albums of 2016
- The best pho restaurants in NYC
- A real-life NYC dominatrix dishes on doing your dirty work (NSFW)
- The best jazz clubs in NYC
- Star Wars’ John Boyega talks the role of a lifetime and petting the Wookiee
- The 11 best places to get New Year's Day brunch
- Quentin Tarantino chats it up about his new talky Western The Hateful Eight
- The 21 most romantic NYC engagement spots
- The best things to do on Christmas in NYC