City stories: Vanessa Rangel, 38, and Nelson Nustas, 43, in Jackson Heights, Queens
A sidewalk interview with two New Yorkers: "We don’t have kids, so our dogs are our kids”
Fri May 16 2014
Photograph: Jorge Quinteros
What brought you and your husband to New York?
Rangel [left]: We lost our jobs in Colombia. There, after you’re 25 years old, you’re too old to be able to work.
Tell me about your dogs.
Rangel: Lucas is eight, he’s the oldest. He is the father of Lulu, and Lola is the mother.
Rangel: We don’t have kids, so they’re our kids. It's our family. Lucas was a gift from a friend who brought him from Colombia.
Did you ever want kids?
Rangel: Yeah, we really tried, but I can’t. For a while we had six puppies at home in a small studio—it was a huge mess. In the end, we decided to keep the little one [Lulu] because she never wanted to go.
Who’s your favorite?
They won’t know.
Rangel: Well, they understand more than you know! [Laughs] Okay, it’s Lucas. He was the first dog I ever had—like my first kid. I taught him everything. He knows the hours, the days, everything.
Get in touch
- Jennifer Hudson talks her Broadway debut in The Color Purple
- The 10 coolest walking tours in NYC
- The best dating apps and sites for New Yorkers
- The 10 best skyscrapers in New York City
- Jim Reid talks Psychocandy and announces Jesus and Mary Chain are back in the studio
- The 10 best views in NYC
- Meet the talents who will be shaping our city
- DJ Harvey talks crystal skulls and why he's the Forrest Gump of disco
- The best guacamole in NYC
- Joanna Kotze talks about her innovative performance Find Yourself Here