City stories: Vanessa Rangel, 38, and Nelson Nustas, 43, in Jackson Heights, Queens
A sidewalk interview with two New Yorkers: "We don’t have kids, so our dogs are our kids”
Fri May 16 2014
Photograph: Jorge Quinteros
What brought you and your husband to New York?
Rangel [left]: We lost our jobs in Colombia. There, after you’re 25 years old, you’re too old to be able to work.
Tell me about your dogs.
Rangel: Lucas is eight, he’s the oldest. He is the father of Lulu, and Lola is the mother.
Rangel: We don’t have kids, so they’re our kids. It's our family. Lucas was a gift from a friend who brought him from Colombia.
Did you ever want kids?
Rangel: Yeah, we really tried, but I can’t. For a while we had six puppies at home in a small studio—it was a huge mess. In the end, we decided to keep the little one [Lulu] because she never wanted to go.
Who’s your favorite?
They won’t know.
Rangel: Well, they understand more than you know! [Laughs] Okay, it’s Lucas. He was the first dog I ever had—like my first kid. I taught him everything. He knows the hours, the days, everything.
Get in touch
- Photos of NYC in snowstorms through the decades
- The best places to buy a winter coat in New York
- John Cameron Mitchell's makeover into Hedwig
- Eddie Redmayne interview
- Best of 2015
- 50 reasons NYC in winter is awesome
- Lena Dunham interview
- Photos of the Puppy Bowl XI lineup
- The best faux-fur fashion
- The 31 guiltiest pleasures of living in New York