Donate to Toys for Tots starting today—and have your gifts picked up
For the first time ever, the charitable organization is offering to pick up contributions from donors, making it even easier to spread a little cheer
Wed Nov 13 2013
Photograph: Nevit Dilmen / Wikimedia Commons
Every year, Toys for Tots helps to brighten the holiday season a little bit for the kids who need it most. There are two ways to contribute to the drive, which is a U.S. Marine Corps Reserve charitable initiative: Donors can drop off new toys at select locations and, for the first time ever, they can also have their donations picked up in all five boroughs.
RECOMMENDED: Christmas in New York guide
The organization is teaming up with mobile car-service app Gett to organize a drive that even the laziest or busiest New Yorker can participate in. If you don't have time to lug around dolls, games and other playthings, download the Gett app and schedule a pickup. Drivers will come, free of charge, to any address in all five boroughs, and you'll receive a $20 credit to toward your first Gett ride. See below for directions on how to have your toys picked up.
The Toys for Tots drive starts today and runs until December 20. Last year, the drive collected 400,000 toys for underprivileged youngsters for the holidays, and this year's campaign is expected to be the biggest yet.
How to get your toys picked up:
1. To download on your iPhone or Android, search "Gett" in the App Store/Google Play or type dl.gett.com
2. Enter your cell-phone number and a three-digit code sent in a text
3. To schedule, select the address and select a date/time
4. Leave "Toys" as a note for the driver and hit "Confirm"
5. New users must "Add Credit Card" to complete the process (there is no charge for a toy pickup)
6. Redeem the $20 coupon for the first black car ride: Go to the "Me/My Profile" tab and enter "Toys4Tots" into Promotion Code
You might also like
What do you think? Tell us below!
Send tips and cat photos to:
Editor: Marley Lynch (@marleyasinbob)
See more recent blog posts
Exclusive: The HBO Bryant Park Summer Film Festival reveals their 2015 lineup!
12 reasons staying in NYC during Memorial Day Weekend is totally awesome
24 super-cool things to do this weekend
12 things real New Yorkers don't know but are too afraid to ask
10 spots to eat and drink at this Memorial Day Weekend