Go it alone
Whether your friends ditched you for the Hamptons, you're freshly single or you just need some time with yourself, here are strategies for savoring the city solo.
Wed Aug 8 2007
- Alone day 1, day of Zen: You're seeking tranquility and don't want to see another soul.
- Day of Zen music mix: including Tom Waits and Soul Coughing.
- Alone day 2, post-breakup: You've been dumped and aren't in the mood for your friends' pity.
- Breakup music mix: including The Smiths and Elliott Smith.
- Alone day 3, the Hamptons abandonment: Your friends are living it up on Long Island while you're stuck here.
- Alone day 4, day of veg: You're lazy and don't want to leave the house.
- Home alone music mix: Including The Walkmen and Mika.
- Could-see TV: Perfect boob tube fare for those wake-up-at-noon-and-do-nothing Sundays.
- Whee, myself and I: For more satisfying solo missions, hit up these singles spots. Includes online bonus content.
- Mr. Lonely: One man gives himself the silent treatment.
- Portraits of alone: TONY staffers offer their encomiums to solitude.
- Back the #@% off!: Someone all up in your grill? Here’s how to get your personal space back, with tips from the pros.
- Self-helpers: You’ll never see these workers at the watercooler—we find out how they feel about hitting the grindstone alone.
- What is the loneliest job?: A TONY poll.
Also in this issue:
- Staycations 2007: Seven weekend getaways...without the getting away part.
- Underground arts: In an era when every no-talent clod is seeking his 15 minutes, we highlight the creative minds of the underground.