Are you serious? How is Jack Daniels- Hipster or for that matter mein Kampf not? Aren't chucks everywhere as well?
Hipster detox: Quick impressions
See how three New York hipsters coped with two weeks of mainstream living.
Wed May 30 2007
- A hipstory
- Hipster detox: Full assessment
- Why the hipster must die: The hipsterati talks back
Occupation: TONY night receptionist
- Beat up Chucks to boat shoes
- Slim Levi's to white shorts
- Tight T's to polo with popped collar
- Death on the Installment Plan to Star Wars novel
- New Yorker to Maxim
- Old Spice to Axe body spray
- Sweet-ass beard to clean shaven
- J'aimerais pas crever un dimanche to The Condemned (with Stone Cold Steve Austin)
- Union Pool to The Maritime Hotel
- Japanther to Springsteen's Greatest Hits
- Hipster jerk friends I see too much to cool high school friend I don't see enough
Assessment of detox: "I've been given a lot to think about, especially since I'm not getting any younger and I don't know that I want to be living the life of a broke, pretentious clown when I'm 40."
Occupation: "between jobs"
- Gram Parsons to Toby Keith
- Hsker D T-shirt to a friend's Rangers jersey
- In the Fascist Bathroom to Mein Kampf
- Tilda Swinton to Ashlee Simpson
- Masturbation to video games
- Brooklyn Lager to Stella Artois
- Desmond Dekker to Sean Paul
- NYC subway to PATH train
- Thread worn Levi's to JNCO's
- Karaoke to Pat Benetar to karaoke to Kid Rock
Assessment of detox: "Am I going to change? Fuck that! I've already cashed in on whatevercheap kicks I may have accrued for being able to relate to 15-year-old girls in the heartland."
Occupation: Williamsburg bartender
- Cowboy boots to pointy heels (considered sporting Crocs during the day but could not bring herself to do it)
- Maintaining own nails to visiting a salon
- Obsessive hair straightening to au naturale
- Jack Daniels to appletinis
- Bukowski to Confessions of a Shopaholic
- Throbbing Gristle to Celine Dion
- Liking that one song by The Knife to liking Fergie's "Glamorous" (which, she notes, "Sadly, I now do.")
- Children of Men to Reign Over Me
- Lost and Found/Daddy's/Turkey's Nest to Pop Burger/Marquee/Pastis
- Relaxing in MacCarren Park to relaxing in Central Park
Assessment of detox: "I have a newfound appreciation for US Weekly and I'm now taking some classes at the Y, but other than that I don't think much has changed."