New York florists: Flower shops for Mother’s Day
How’d that bodega bunch work out last year? Not so great, huh? Try these quality New York florists instead.
Wed May 8 2013
Photograph: Jessica Lin
- Price band: 2/4
This high-end company’s been whipping up edgy, whimsical creations since 2004. Its signature, eponymous arrangement ($100 and up) is a lush selection of seasonal flowers and foliage in a mercury vase.
For Mother’s Day: The shop’s stocking up on peonies, sweet peas and parrot tulips and offering customized designs in addition to hand-tied bouquets ($45 and up).
Delivery: All over the world (New York City delivery $10–$50); $100 minimum purchase required for Mother’s Day shipping.
- 245 Eldridge St, (between E Houston and Stanton Sts), 10002
- Price band: 2/4
Kimberly Sevilla’s floral design studio specializes in premium blooms and a modern aesthetic, as in the Bowl of Roses ($125), a mix of English garden, spray and classic roses arranged compactly in a glass bowl.
For Mother’s Day: Try Le Poeme ($135), a pastel collection of orange, lavender and cream garden roses framed with soft-green stalks.
Delivery: Available in Long Island City, Brooklyn and Manhattan below 96th Street ($15–$35). Sevilla also has a global network of florists that can reproduce and deliver designs (prices vary).
- 653 Metropolitan Ave, (between Leonard St and Manhattan Ave)
Starbright Floral Design
In the heart of Flower District, this store offers a wide range of styles, from traditional to modern.
For Mother’s Day: The Celebrate Mom bouquet ($55–$75) is a fuchsia-hued arrangement of pink spray roses, Peruvian and Asiatic lilies, and mini carnations in a crystal vase.
Delivery: Same-day to all five boroughs; allow for three to four hours (prices vary). 800-520-8999, starbrightnyc.com
- 150 W 28th St between Sixth and Seventh Aves
Husband-and-wife team Rado Bomba and Delgis Canahuate offer rustic arrangements, potted plants and antique housewares at this quaint shop.
For Mother’s Day: Buy bouquets ($25–$150) wrapped with ribbon and featuring garden roses, peonies, stars-of-Bethlehem and freshly cut orchids.
Delivery: Usually citywide, but for Sunday 12, only Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, Brooklyn Heights and Clinton Hill are options ($15). Bomba recommends calling a couple of days in advance. 718-722-4767
- 112 S Oxford St between Fulton St and Lafayette Ave, Fort Greene, Brooklyn
Owner Sunny Hwang fashions custom arrangements and bouquets of seasonal flowers ($10 and up) in this narrow East Village storefront, which always draws long lines on holidays.
For Mother’s Day: Hwang will offer peonies and lilacs, the occasion’s traditional blooms, at her usual prices (nosegay $10, small bouquet $20, large bouquet $50).
Delivery: None. Hwang advises calling a week before to schedule a pickup. 212-473-0185
- 102 Second Ave between 5th and 6th Sts
You might also like
- 31 ways to piss off a New Yorker
- 33 reasons New York kicks Chicago’s ass
- Brace yourself: A and C tunnel between Brooklyn and Manhattan will be closed for 40 weekends next year
- 14 super-cool things to do this weekend
- 20 awesome things happening in New York this week
- Macy's Thanksgiving Parade Balloon Inflation
- Bank of America Winter Village at Bryant Park Rink
- Lost your keys? These new kiosks will print new copies for you.
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
- See the photos from the 2014 Smallest Penis in Brooklyn contest (NSFW)