Recipe: Red-velvet cake
Courtesy of Cake Man Raven bakery
Thu Dec 27 2007
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp fine salt
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vinegar (white distilled)
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 oz red food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Sift together all dry ingredients
2. Put wet ingredients into an electric mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until well incorporated.
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to mixing bowl until all ingredients are combined
4. Pour and spread evenly into a cake tin and bake at 350 degrees for 20–30 minutes
5. Remove and leave to cool. Make frosting while you wait.
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 lb. cream cheese (room temperature)
1 lb. butter (softened)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix together the cream cheese and the softened butter. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar until it reaches desired sweetness and smoothness
2. Add vanilla extract and mix well
3. Apply frosting to cake top
Reproduced with permission of Cake Man Raven bakery.
Butter in frosting should read 1 C., not 1 lb.. If you google the recipe, it appears correctly on other sites.
This is the best red velvet recipe ever. Non-stop raves every time I make it. As for the frosting, I use 2 sticks of butter, not 4. Works great for me.
I have the original recipe at home posted by the Cake Man and it matches the one exactly as it is written above. 1 lb of butter for frosting.