The photo of the lightning strike on the Verrazano Bridge is not by that Instagram user, and was not photographed in last night's storm. I took it during a storm September 12, 2013, here's the original photo on my flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59414209@N00/9735480870/in/photolist-fQhTmW-fQhThs-6JsyMY-fdE55A-eao3Yn-nrhUWQ-fdpJtk-nri5jj-eao3VM-fdpHQ2-bdrtu6-6nsELQ-6RZQrs and here is my website which also has the photo along with many others of the beautiful Verrazano-Narrows bridge: http://www.jamesprochnik.com/
The 12 best photos of last night’s crazy storm
You might have noticed a spot of rain last night when Hurricane Arthur came to visit
Thu Jul 3 2014
If you're anything like us, you spent yesterday evening alternately staring out the window in fascination, then screeching and hurling yourself backward as yet another of Zeus's huge, angry lightning bolts hurtled toward the earth with the roar of a thousand exploding suns.
All in all, the city took quite a pounding last night, and as ever, thousands of New Yorkers pointed their cameras skyward to capture every rain-drenched, electricity-scorched moment of it. Here are our picks of the 12 best photos from Hurricane Arthur.
Update: This photo was taken by James Prochnik on September 12, 2013, and not during the July 2nd storm. You can see more of his work here: http://www.jamesprochnik.com
Get in touch
- The 20 best spas in NYC
- See photos of NYC in snowstorms through the decades
- The 50 best ’80s songs
- Last chance winter bucket list
- Jason Moran dishes on the Village Vanguard
- How many of NYC's best restaurants have you eaten at?
- Ten erotic books hotter and better than Fifty Shades of Grey
- The best soups, stews and soul-warming bowls in NYC
- Stunning aerial photos of NYC in winter
- The 15 best sex scenes with no sex in them