Tiny Kitchen Recipes: Eggnog from The Boys Club
The creamy libation is the perfect holiday treat, and it can help time spent with meddlesome relatives go a little smoother
Mon Dec 23 2013
Photograph: Brian Samuels
Welcome to Tiny Kitchen Recipes, a feature in which we ask chefs, writers, and food bloggers in New York City and beyond to share a recipe with us. Always wallet-friendly, these creations are feasible whether you live to cook or recently stopped using your oven for shoe storage.
RECOMMENDED: All recipes from us
Eggnog is a long-time Christmas staple. Rich, boozy and warm, the beverage makes sense during a time of indulgence—a.k.a. the holidays (it also helps get through prolonged time periods with annoying relatives). And, like many things, homemade eggnog is way better than the storebought stuff. That's where the recipe below comes in; it's from The Boys Club, the winner of Best Cocktail Blog in Saveur's 2013 Best Food Blog Awards.
Eggnog from The Boys Club
- 4 eggs, whites and yolks separated (use grade A or AA eggs that have been refrigerated)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
1. Beat the egg yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer for approximately one minute, or until they lighten in color. Slowly mix in the sugar and continue to mix until dissolved.
2. Slowly pour in the milk and cream. Add the bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a large serving bowl.
3. Clean out the bowl of the stand mixer.
4. Beat the egg whites in the bowl of the stand mixer until soft peaks form. While the mixer is still on, slowly add another tablespoon of sugar and beat to form stiff peaks.
5. Add the egg whites to the cream mixture and whisk to combine.
6. Serve in glass mugs with a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg on top.
Makes four servings
You might also like
What do you think? Tell us below!
Send tips and cat photos to:
Editor: Marley Lynch (@marleyasinbob)
See more recent blog posts
12 reasons staying in NYC during Memorial Day Weekend is totally awesome
24 super-cool things to do this weekend
Exclusive: The HBO Bryant Park Summer Film Festival reveals their 2015 lineup!
12 things real New Yorkers don't know but are too afraid to ask
10 spots to eat and drink at this Memorial Day Weekend