Get away to Ireland
There's a reason it's called The Emerald Isle, but the lush, vibrant landscape of Ireland isn't the only reason to visit this storied country.
The stunning oceanside cliffs and verdant valleys of Ireland are legendary, and reason alone to make a visit. But sharing the spotlight these days are the cities, where thriving music, arts and culinary scenes are drawing participants and visitors from all over the globe. Numerous music and arts festivals are held throughout the year in Dublin, Galway and Belfast, and County Cork has become the country's culinary hub. Derry-Londonderry is 2013's City of Culture, with a year-long calendar of events proving the designation—including the prestigious Turner Prize, being held for the first time outside of Britain. And the entire country is hosting The Gathering 2013, with thousands of events celebrating Irish culture being held in all counties, making this an especially good year to make a pilgrimage. With direct flights from the U.S. to Dublin, Belfast and Shannon, it's easy to make a trip—it will give a whole new meaning to going green.
Events calendar for New York City
- Infograph: The NYC subway versus subways around the world
- NYC subway station secrets, hidden stops and abandoned places
- Weekend getaways from NYC: Quick, easy and affordable escapes
- Buses to Atlantic City from NYC and other transport options
- Make your NYC subway commute easier with these tricks
- Weekend trips from NYC to beach towns, mountain resorts and more
- Romantic hotels in NYC: Six spots to put you in the mood for love
- Best New York hotels: Choose your perfect place to stay
- Day trips from NYC to beaches, parks, wineries and more
- Best New York ski resorts for skiing and snowboarding