The great ghetto fire of 1689 destroyed the original Klausen Synagogue, along with 318 houses and ten other synagogues. Hastily constructed on the same site five years later, the existing synagogue has much in common with Prague's Baroque churches, as it was built by the same craftsmen. Its permanent exhibition explores the role religion played in the lives of the ghetto's former inhabitants.
The best view of the synagogue is from the Old Jewish Cemetery, where the simple façade rises behind the dense tangle of ancient gravestones, topped by two tablets of the Decalogue with a golden inscription.
This museum is part of the Židovské Muzeum (Jewish Museum).